Biography

My name is Cameron McKerchar and I was born in Calgary, Alberta. I have split time in various locations in Alberta and British Columbia throughout my life, while visiting Shuswap Lake throughout all of it. Ultimately, I call Shuswap Lake home. I decided to get into teaching while completing a major in theatre, and minoring in history. Along the way, teaching called to me more and more as I wanted to put all of my learning towards helping others find their learning goals. I spent the years between 2015 and 2023 in university working towards this goal. My first handful of years, I focused heavily on the theatre major, starring in plays, working sound and lights, directing and stage managing at UFV and within the communities of Abbotsford & Chilliwack. In total, I have been involved in over 16 theatre productions in my lifetime. I decided along the way to take an interest in history, having taken an incredibly inspiring class in Dynastical China with an incredible professor. I would continue in this line, studying in the history of Canada, Military history, Europe & China alike. These two focuses shaped up nicely to make the transfer closer to Shuswap Lake by attending Thompson Rivers University for it’s Bachelor of Education in Elementary program. I am currently in the first year of this program, and have attained over 120 credits between two universities.

In October 2020 I began working for Kamloops School District 73 as a noon-hour supervisor both on the playground and in the classrooms. I also took on assistant coaching roles with volleyball since October 2020 at Kamloops School of the Arts. I also assisted in the coaching of soccer and basketball. I have spent plenty of time in various classrooms since January 2021 helping teachers with their needs, usually in Elementary classrooms or P.E. settings with K-12.

My background still remains primarily in Theatre. Within the community of Abbotsford, I took on a Stage Managing job with Gallery 7 Theatre which entailed an incredibly detailed account of actors, directors, designers, operators, the list goes on. The job of the Stage manager was plentiful, including setting all schedules for rehearsals and shows, coordinating all roles of a production together and being a liaison to information between all production members. I would be responsible for the venue, opening and powering the facility on, making sure the lights were working for the show, that the sound was functioning in the correct manner, that all staff was where they needed to be. Overall, it was an incredibly eye-opening experience in how to keep a vast machine of a production like that running. This organization has played well into organizing a school schedule and it’s many working parts between lessons and units and the over-arching year.